Lars Peterson’s practice emphasizes bankruptcy law, criminal defense, insurance coverage disputes, and personal injury. He also practices general civil and commercial litigation and handles commercial transactions and business-related matters.
Mr. Peterson is a U.S. and German attorney. He has been admitted to practice in all courts in the State of Hawai’i and the State of Georgia, the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai’i, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and is eligible to practice in Germany and European Union member states.
Lars Peterson was born and raised in Germany and relocated to Hawai’i in 1999. After graduating from the University of Konstanz School of Law in 1997 and completing the mandatory two-year clerkship, Mr. Peterson obtained his German juris doctor degree. After relocating to Hawai`i, Mr. Peterson first attended the William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa, then the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was awarded the American Bankruptcy Institute Certificate of Excellence in Bankruptcy and received his U.S. juris doctor degree in 2005.
Upon graduation, Mr. Peterson practiced in Georgia in the areas of bankruptcy law, criminal defense, and general civil litigation for one year. Since returning to Hawai’i in 2006, he has worked at the Legislative Reference Bureau at the State Capitol and has gained significant trial experience while working at the Office of the Public Defender for the State of Hawai’i in Honolulu. Mr. Peterson has also worked as an associate attorney for Klevansky Piper Van Etten, LLLP, foremost in the areas of insurance coverage litigation and commercial bankruptcies and transactions.
- American Bankruptcy Institute – Certificate of Excellence, 2005
- Bankruptcy; Chapter 13, Chapter 7; debt settlement & negotiation; resolving tax problems;
- Criminal defense; former deputy public defender; DUI
- Insurance coverage; worked with Alan Van Etten of Klevansky Piper Van Etten, LLP
- University of Hawai`i William S. Richardson School of Law; University of Cincinnati College of Law (the same law school from which former Chief Justice William S. Richardson graduated)
- U.S. & German attorney (since 2005 and 2000, respectively)